Tuesday, October 17, 2006

last post from Moldova

well, that's it. I am leaving moldova tomorrow at 8am. I finally finished all my documents, I bought my souvenirs, I said goodbye to my host family, partners, PC admin, etc. I'm happy mostly because I have managed to finish all the stuff that needed finishing.

Moldova is no paradise. All of the things I've said over the past 2 years are true. There is corruption, many public institutions are dysfunctional, there is very little work, people tend to be both poor and unhappy (because they used to be wealthier, or at least had a more guaranteed source of income), rural areas are devastated, etc etc. In spite of all this, I have gotten used to moldova, and moldova went and got used to me too. Generalizations about something as large as a country are fun to say, but the reality is there are great people and bad people everywhere. I've met some great people, and for that I am appreciative. I will be sad to leave, and I will be sad to leave them.

I am starting a romanian language blog which will be about my travels back in the states at scrisoridinamerica.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. I hope it helps me keep my language skills from dying completely.

Goodbye Moldova. Maybe I'll see you again soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings

I was hoping to buy you a beer at Moldagrotech next week (agri development PCVs like yourself do go there, right?) but the timing isn't the best ;) Here's to wishing you a safe journey back .. cheers

Henrik

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog-ul unui american care scrie in romaneste cu accente moldovenesti. Interesant!

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buna ziua, noroc!

Nice blog. Thanks for helping Moldova.

Le magazine de la Moldavie Moldavie

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home