Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sovesti and how to ruin a good thing

Sovesti is a well known Russian word in Moldova with no exact translation in English. It is (in my opinion) a word oozing of communist mentality. You usually say “don’t you have any sovesti” – with the sense that “don’t you realize that sharing is the right thing to do (don’t you appreciate me enough to share something with me (even if you don’t, I’ve done a lot of stuff for you so I deserve it (and so if you don’t do this, I’m not going to do stuff for you anymore either!)))). Funny how quickly sovesti becomes a game of counting favors. I don’t mind counting favors, but I’d rather count them upfront – in the first set of parenthesis – not in the plotting, back stabbing back of my mind – in the fourth set of parenthesis.

But more generally - is morally enforced sharing a good thing? That is, is it really a good thing to create a society in which not sharing is a sin?

Back to America: I buy a candy bar, and you are standing next to me. In a “not sharing is a sin” world, I automatically feel bad for not giving you some of it. I, by the simple act of purchasing something for myself and wanting it for myself, have committed a sin. If you are bold enough to ask, I must give it to you. However, you probably won’t ask for it (since asking is presumptuous) and so I have to offer it to you – I have to give you something I want to keep, and I have to make you take it. If I don’t, you could scold me for my sin as our kindergarten teachers did when we didn’t share the glitter. WHAT CRAZINESS!

You might be saying that if I was a good person, a true sharer, I would not feel bad by giving some of my candy bar to you. I would, in fact, feel good, the sharing would touch my spirit of goodness and inject even more dopamine into my brain than would have been injected by eating that tiny bit of candy I gave away. Equally, I would realize that over time, my sharing and other people’s sharing would equal out, and we’d all be better off. Well, it’s true, I’m not a true sharer – but the world will probably not equal out because there will always be those who intentionally take more than they give (see my water bottle story). Worst part is, they usually are the most vocal sharers. They’re the ones who leave 5 dollars less when in large groups at restaurants, or do nice little tasks - like cleaning up a room – while expecting much more valuable tasks to be done in return, through the natural process of sharing, of course. They are such vocal sharers because they depend on the system to continue in order to take advantage of it.

It’s not that the people are inherently bad – it’s just that everyone figures out how to maximize their happiness, which often (though not always) means maximizing profit while minimizing work. But we should never create systems in which deviants – those whose actions run against the tenets of the system – can thrive without being detected. If we could easily detect and openly finger and correct those individuals who take and don’t give, the system could continue without being systematically taken advantage of (this has been tried – it didn’t work out). But we can’t, and so it goes on in the cheaters’ favor.

And so this is why I think the system of “not sharing is a sin” is fundamentally flawed. It doesn’t mean I’ll never give you a piece of my candy bar – I might. But I don’t have to. I will feel no remorse in not giving it to you, and you should feel no anger for not receiving it. So my act of kindness will be just that: a conscious, unforced kind act, a plain old good thing - not one forced on me by some societal idea of sharing, leaving me jaded and annoyed.

And so we will both have sovesti which we will count in every transaction seperately, and the back stabbing, favor-counting parts of our minds will have nothing to mull over because it will all be brought to the surface, where public thoughts and actions should be.

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy Austic said...

Excellent writing!
The old farmer's philosophy was that you help your neighbor, not because you were 'counting' favors, but simply because you knew that he/she would be there for you when the time came. No one ever kept track, and everyone knew that someday he/she would be the one in need, and his previous generosity would come back to him ten-fold.
That's the philosophy I try to live by still, and like you say, 'the favor-counting part' of my mind has nothing to do.

4:49 PM  
Blogger gbathree said...

Well, it's possible, but I honestly doubt it. I would like to hear some specific examples from the American Indian societies. I would also like to know how sharing relates to their own productivity. I firmly believe, on the basis of what I have seen here, that without a direct incentive for your work people will not work to their full capacity. Societies that remove the forces of production and consumption by removing personal incentive (which we often consider negative things) also tend to lag in terms of the traditional idea of development.

I would be interested to see a society that has a true norm of societal sharing and is also advanced in a production and scientific sense. If you think that production and science as not the most important factors in a society, I would like to hear a good argument as to why, and what are the more important factors.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, statistically speaking, I may live in such a society: Denmark. A top-10 GDP per capita ranking in the world, one of the highest tax burdens per capita in the free world .. and pretty consistently top-scorer in international comparisons of "happiness". Interesting figures which we sometimes have to remind ourselves of .. not least when filling out the annual form for the local IRS ;) I'm certainly not saying Moldova should follow our example. Only suggesting that culture may play a part in the equation: Economic freedom may be viewed in a time perspective as well: E.g. (in the extreme) is a zero per cent tax rate beneficial to long-term econmic freedom?

Best wishes

Henrik

6:43 PM  
Blogger gbathree said...

Well, that is true. However, there are clear differences, mainly the fact that you had a clear, believable, stable government before people began to believe in it enough to think that they were going to get something out of their "sharing" (tax burden). Moldova is not in a similar situation.

However, you make a good point. Give me some time to think about it.

Thanks!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"They’re the ones who leave 5 dollars less when in large groups at restaurants"

You can't fool me, this post was a very long and roundabout shot at CARDY JONES and his prom night nonsense.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home